Hopping on the bandwagon

I don't really have much to talk about, so I guess I'll show you guys what I've been up to in the art department lately.









Obviously I've been toying with realism, kinda perfecting my style of it a bit. The characters featured are all original characters that my friends and I have created. I think the first one is my favourite. Here's a preview of what I'm working on and hoping to finish in the next couple of days:



It's for a contest on deviantART, and the theme is "Good vs. Evil". Evil is the one on the left and I drew her leaning towards Good for, what I believe, are obvious reasons. I think Evil, my idea of her at least, is that she wants to be good, hence why she's leaning forward. If you look at her wrists, she's wearing shackles, almost as if she is evil against her will. If you look at Good, she's leaning and looking away, but giving no intention to leave, as if she needs Evil to justify her existence. On her wrist is a branch of thorns. This was a bit unintentional when I first started to draw it. After I finished it, I wasn't sure what had compelled me, but then I thought about it and saw a reference (you'll enjoy this, Mom). I thought of the story of when jesus was given the crown of thorns. It seemed to fit. Good takes on the weight of Evil, while having tribulations of her own, but taking them in stride.

So, what do you think? Is it contest-worthy? The prizes are reeeaaallllyyyy amazing.
First prize:
-Wacom Intuos4 Large tablet - 12.8" x 8" (http://www.layersmagazine.com/admin/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/wacom-intuos4-overhead.jpg)
- Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator CS4
- $1,000 Amex Gift Card
- a dA artist's bag & shirt
- a 1 year subscription to the site.

Second prize:
- Wacom Intuos4 Medium tablet - 8.8" x 5.5"
- Adobe Photoshop CS4
- $750 Amex Gift Card
- a dA artist's bag & shirt
- a 1 year subscription to the site.

Third prize:
- Wacom Intuos4 Medium tablet
- $500 Amex Gift Card
- a dA artist's bag and shirt
- a 1 year subscription to the site

There's also a Community Choice prize which is the same package as a first place prize. I think I might have a shot, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up so I don't get too bummed. There are tons of amazing artists on deviantART- tons better than me. If you can, get an account (it's free) and vote for me when the time comes! I'd really appreciate it!

Ok, this turned into a really long, boring, unimportant blog, so I'm gonna cut it off here. Cheers!

1 Response to "Hopping on the bandwagon"

  1. Andra Says:

    Cork, I really really like what you've done! And I think the Good v. Evil theme is fantastic and your interpretation of it is very insightful!! GOOD LUCK!!! Keep us posted on the win!